|Sam's Amazing Race 3|
|Season Run||October 19 – December 21 2008|
|Filmed||August 2 – August 25 2008|
|Winning Team||Teri & Ian|
|Distance Travelled||41,000 miles|
|Number Of Legs||10|
|Number Of Teams||9|
|All-Stars|| Charla & Mirna|
Oswald & Danny
|Sam's Amazing Race 2||Sam's Amazing Race 4|
This is the third installment of the fictional reality series, Sam's Amazing Race.
Applications for this race were due on 12 July 2008 and there were interviews for the top 50 teams on 29-30 July. The race was filmed in August and September 2008. There was rule changes in this race. There was no limit to the amount of Roadblocks that a team member could do in previous seasons, but now team members can only do a limit of 4 each until Leg 9, where they may freely choose who does the Final Roadblock. The Yield is now gone, and have been replaced by the U-turn. The U-turn allows 1 team to make another team do the detour that they did not complete. There is now a new non-elimination penalty. The Speed Bump has been introduced, making the team that finishes last on a non-elimination to complete an extra task before continuing with the race.
|Team||Relationship||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|Teri & Ian||Married Parents||8th||6thB||5th||4th||5th⊃||5th||3rd||3rd⊂||1st||1st||Teri 4, Ian 5|
|Joe & Bill||Life Partners||6th||4thC||1stƒ||3rd||2nd||4th||2nd||1st||2nd||2nd||Joe 4, Bill 4|
|John Vito & Jill||Formerly Dating||4th||6thD⊃||7th||2nd||3rd||3rd||4th||4th||3rd||3rd||John Vito 4, Jill 5|
|David & Mary||Coalminer & Wife||3rd||3rdB||3rd||6th||6th⊂||6th||1stƒ||2nd⊃||4th||David 4, Mary 3|
|Charla & Mirna||Cousins||2nd||1stA||2nd||1stƒ||1st||2nd||5th||5th||Charla 3, Mirna 3|
|Oswald & Danny||Best Friends||5th||2ndA||6th||5th||4th||1stƒ||6th||Oswald 3, Danny 2|
|Uchenna & Joyce||Married||1st||5thC||4th||7th||Uchenna 1, Joyce 2|
|Eric & Danielle||Formerly Dating||7th||8thD⊂||Eric 0, Danielle 0|
|Kevin & Drew||Lifelong Friends||9th||Kevin 0, Drew 0|
- Red means the team was eliminated.
- Green ƒ means the team won the Fast Forward clue. A green-colored leg number indicates that the Fast Forward was available for that leg but not used.
- An underlined Blue team's placement means the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump task in the following leg.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Matching letters means the teams paired up at an Intersection.
Episode Title QuotesEdit
- And So it Begins... - Eric
- Is Morse Code Some Sorta Monkey Language? - Mary
- Lawyers Can't Do Everything, Mirna - Charla
- Technology is Ruining Us - Mirna
- You are Just Like Hitler - Teri
- This is Like a Television Show! - Jill
- Are Chickens This Important? - John Vito
- These People Aren't Fighters - Ian
- It Tastes Like Feet - Teri
- It All Comes Down to This - Joe
- A Trip for two to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- A Trip for two to Tanzania
- A Trip for two to Krakow, Poland
- A Trip for two to Hawaii
- A Catamaran each
- A Trip for two to Guam
- A Trip for two to Petrohué, Chile
- A Trip for two to Alaska
- A Trip for two to Zanzibar
| Air travel destination Bus travel destination Railroad destination Water travel destination Helicopter travel destination|
Detour Roadblock Intersection U-Turn Fast Forward Speed Bump Pit Stop
Leg 1 (United States → Federated States of Micronesia)Edit
- Los Angeles, California, United States (Griffith Observatory) (Starting Point)
- Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport) to Tamuning, Guam (Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport)
- Tamuning (Continental Micronesia Ticketing)
- Tamuning (Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport) to Yap, Federated States of Micronesia (Yap International Airport)
- Yap (Tagreng Bridge)
- Yap (Village)
- Yap (Manta Ray Bay Hotel) (Overnight Rest)
- Yap (Tamil Harbor)
- Yap (Man House)
The first detour was Speed or Stamina. In Speed, teams must ride a speedboat around the perimeter of the island going to small villages along the way. Teams must collect a flag from each of the 4 villages and they must give them to a fisherman, who would have team’s next clue. In Stamina, teams must ride a kayak to a small island called Mangrove Island, 9 miles away.
- Additional Tasks
- In Guam, teams had to sign up for 1 of 2 charter planes to Yap, Micronesia.
- At the Bridge, teams had to deliver a 5½ ft tall piece of Yap Money to a village 1¾ miles away to get their next clue.
- At the Manta Ray Bay Hotel, teams had to sign in for 1 of 3 departure times - 8am, 8.30am and 8.50am.
Leg 2 (Federated States of Micronesia → Australia)Edit
- Yap (Yap International Airport) to Sydney, Australia (Sydney Airport)
- Sydney (Chinese Garden of Friendship)
- Sydney (Australian National Maritime Museum)
- Sydney (Sydney Opera House)
- Parramatta (Elizabeth Farm)
The detour on this leg of the race required teams to choose either Bite it or Shell it. In Bite it, teams must go to the Lindt Chocolate Café and then bite through the 13000 chocolates until they find 1 of 10 with a white center. In Shell it, teams must go to a restaurant at Circular Quay and then shell 13kg of prawns. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to decode a message in Morse Code. This code would reveal the location of the team’s next pit stop.
Leg 3 (Australia → Hong Kong)Edit
- Sydney (Sydney Harbour Bridge)
- Sydney (Sydney Airport) to Chep Lap Kok, Hong Kong (Hong Kong International Airport)
- Sha Tin (Ten Thousand Buddhas Monastery)
- Hong Kong Island (Madame Tussauds Hong Kong)
- Causeway Bay (Standard Chartered Bank Building)
- Wan Chai (Wan Chai Pier) to Tsim Sha Tsui (Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry Pier)
- Hung Hom (Whampoa Garden - JUSCO Department Store)
- Tai Po (Tai Po Hui Market)
- Kowloon City (Kowloon Walled City)
The Fast Forward required teams to find the Travelocity Roaming Gnome in amongst many Buddha statues. The Roadblock on this leg of the race required one team member to take a lesson in making a wax model. Teams must then make a wax model of their partner to get their next clue. The detour on this leg was Chinese Characters or Chinese Food. In Chinese Characters, teams must search the market to find the stall with the next clue. The only clue teams are given is the name of it in Chinese. In Chinese Food, teams must find a clearly marked area near the entrance to the market. Once there, teams must eat some of the dishes found in a dim sum meal to get their next clue.
- Additional Tasks
- At the Sydney Harbour Bridge, teams had to walk up it to get their next clue.
- At the Bank, teams had to count a bowl of Hong Kong money. If they count the correct amount, they will receive their next clue.
- At the JUSCO store, teams were required to search for "a friend", which turned out to be the Travelocity Roaming Gnome. Once teams found one, they would find their next clue on the bottom of it.
Leg 4 (Hong Kong → Japan)Edit
- Chep Lap Kok (Hong Kong International Airport) to Tokyo, Japan (Narita International Airport)
- Shibuya, Tokyo (Scramble Crossing)
- Chūō, Tokyo (Sony Building)
- Shibuya, Tokyo (Yoyogi Park)
- Chiyoda, Tokyo (Tokyo Metropolitan Hibiya High School)
- Machida, Tokyo (Yakushiike Park)
The Speed Bump required John Vito & Jill to take part in goldfish scooping. They had scoop 30 goldfish with rice paper paddles that disintigrate easily in water. Once they got the 30 fish, they could continue racing. The detour on this leg was Ancient or Modern. In Ancient, teams must collect two ancient lanterns and deliver them to a Buddhist shrine where a monk would give teams their next clue. In Modern, teams must go to an internet café and play a video game on the Nintendo Wii. Teams must beat their opponent at this game to get their next clue. The Fast Forward required teams to go to a room filled with televisions and then turn on the televisions until they see one with the clue on the screen. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to solve a Sudoku puzzle.
Leg 5 (Japan)Edit
- Osaka (Umeda Sky Building)
- Osaka (Tempozan Harbor Village Ferris Wheel)
- Kyoto (Ryoan-ji)
- Himeji (Himeji Castle)
The detour on this leg was Sumo or Sushi. In Sumo, teams must go to a local sumo ring and then both team members must force a sumo wrestler out of the ring to get their next clue. In Sushi, teams must go to a local restaurant and eat a plate of sushi each. The Roadblock required one team member for each team to make a kimono that is suitable for a geisha. If a geisha is happy with the team's efforts, they will receive their next clue.
Leg 6 (Japan → South Africa → Zambia)Edit
- Osaka (Kansai International Airport) to Johannesburg, South Africa (OR Tambo International Airport)
- Johannesburg (Lanseria Airport) to Livingstone, Zambia (Livingstone Airport)
- Livingstone (Batoka Gorge)
- Livingstone (Zambezi Bridge)
- Livingstone (Victoria Falls - Knife's Edge)
- Livingstone (Mukuni Village)
- Livingstone (Livingstone Museum)
The Speed Bump required David & Mary to complete a gorge swing to the bottom of the gorge. Then, they could then continue with the race. The Fast Forward required teams to complete a bungee jump into the Zambezi River. The detour was a choice between White Water and Clear Skies. In White Water, teams had to find Bundu Adventures. Teams then white water rafted down the Zambezi River to get to a route flag. In Clear Skies, teams went to a company called Del-Air and take a helicopter ride over the beautiful Victoria Falls. Teams had to spot the same route flag as the other detour and get their pilot to land next to it so that they can collect their clue. The Roadblock required one team member to learn and perform a traditional tribal dance.
Leg 7 (Zambia → South Africa → Morocco)Edit
- Livingstone (Livingstone Airport) to Johannesburg, South Africa (Lanseria Airport)
- Midrand, Gauteng (Kyalami)
- Johannesburg (Lion Park)
- Johannesburg (OR Tambo International Airport) to Marrakech, Morocco (Marrakech-Menara Airport)
- Marrakech (Souk) (unaired)
- Marrakech (Majorelle Garden)
The Fast Forward had teams drive 3 laps of the track in a racing car. The Roadblock had one team member fit parts of a car in its shell and then change the 4 tyres of it. The Speed Bump, which was not completed due to David & Mary completing the Fast Forward, required them to search piles of Moroccan spices. The objective was unknown. The detour on this leg of the race was Halal or Kosher. In Halal, teams must collect a chicken and search for a hard to find stall. Once there, the team must get their chicken blessed and take it to a house very far away to get their next clue. In Kosher, teams had to buy 5 kosher foods in Judaism. Teams must take their foods to a house that is very nearby, where they would get their next clue.
Leg 8 (Morocco → Bolivia)Edit
- Marrakech (Marrakech-Menara Airport) to El Alto, Bolivia (El Alto International Airport)
- La Paz (Valle de la Luna)
- La Paz (Marko Tambo Peña)
- La Paz (Bolivian Palace of Government)
- El Alto (Los Titanes del Ring)
- La Paz (Mirador el Monticulo)
The detour choices on this leg of the race was Build it or Building. In Build it, teams must go to the nearby Musical Instrument Museum and then put a saxophone back together to get their next clue. In Building, teams must use a photograph to find a specific building somewhere in La Paz. Once teams find this building, they must go inside to get their next clue. The Roadblock required one team member from each team to defeat a "fighting cholita" at wrestling.
- Additional Task
- At the Peña, teams must play a Bolivian folk song correctly to get their next clue.
Leg 9 (Bolivia)Edit
- Cochabamba (Cristo de la Concordia)
- Santa Cruz de la Sierra (Tahuichi Academy)
- Santa Cruz de la Sierra (Hotel Buganvillas)
The detour was a choice between Drink the Drink or In the Drink. Drink the Drink required teams to go to La Cancha and find a small stall selling a Bolivian corn based beverage called Chicha. Each team member must drink this beverage to receive their next clue. In the Drink required teams to go to Huayallani Hang gliding Station and complete a 600m tandem hang glide. Teams must the get their clue from a buoy in the lake. The Roadblock on this leg required one team member to block 5 penalty kicks from teenage soccer players.
Leg 10 (Bolivia → Guatemala → United States)Edit
- Santa Cruz de la Sierra (Viru Viru International Airport) to Guatemala City, Guatemala (La Aurora International Airport)
- Guatemala City (Kaminaljuyu)
- Guatemala City (Parque Central)
- Guatemala City (La Aurora International Airport) to New York City, New York, United States (John F. Kennedy International Airport)
- New York City (Greenwich Village - Apartment Block)
- New York City (Times Square)
- New York City (Brooklyn Bridge)
- New York City (Battery Park)
- New York City (Statue of Liberty)
- Titusville, New Jersey (Washington Crossing State Park) (Finish Line)
The detour on the final leg was Compass or Costume. In Compass, teams had to go to Mapa en Relieve. Once there, teams must collect a compass and use it to find a shop in the area, where they would get their next clue. In Costume, teams must go to the Ixchel Museum of Traditional Costumes. Once there teams must use a small piece of fabric to find a costume that it fits into to, to get their next clue. The Final Roadblock required one team member to climb the underside of the Brooklyn Bridge on a rope. Teams must collect a clue in the middle and then go back to their partner.
- Additional Tasks
- At the Apartment Block, teams had to climb to the top to get their next clue.
- At Times Square, teams had to look at the screens for one with their next clue on it.
- At Battery Park, teams collected a Kodak camera, and took a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. On the ferry ride there, teams had to take a photo of the statue. Teams then had to get a return ferry back to the mainland and develop their photo at the Kodak Store to get their next clue