|Sam's Amazing Race 8: All-Stars|
|Season Run||October 31 2010 – January 2 2011|
|Filmed||September 25 – October 20 2010|
|Winning Team||John & Edward|
|Distance Travelled||49,000 miles|
|Number Of Legs||12|
|Number Of Teams||10|
|Sam's Amazing Race 7||Sam's Amazing Race 9|
Sam's Amazing Race 8: All-Stars (also referred to as Return of the Racers) was the 8th installment of fictional reality series Sam's Amazing Race. Sam's Amazing Race 8 featured 10 teams of 2, all from previous races, in their second chance to win the $1,000,000 prize.
Development & FilmingEdit
The all-stars season of Sam's Amazing Race had the same format and clues as the previous season. However, instead of a new batch of racers, memorable teams from previous seasons took part in this race. Each season, with the exception of Season 4, had a representative in the race. This race hit countries on all 7 continents (including Antarctica). The new twist in this race was the Express Pass, a tool to be used in the game, allowing a team to skip any task they choose up until Leg 8. Each team was handed one out at the beginning of the race, and once it was used, they couldn't use it again.
The 8th season of the race featured ten of the race's most memorable teams from the past seven seasons. The majority were selected from a shortlist voted on by the American people.
The returning teams (and their prior race placements) are:
- From Season 1:
- From Season 2:
- Lena and Kristy Jensen, sisters, 1st place
- From Season 3:
- Charla Faddoul and Mirna Hindoyan, cousins, 5th place
- Oswald Mendez and Danny Jiminez, best friends, 6th place
- From Season 5:
- Luke and Chris Wright, twins, 1st place
- Lee Carter and Taylor Hayes, dating, 2nd place
- From Season 6:
- Ma Hei Lani Kaʻanāʻanā and Ron Garcia, dating doctors, 1st place
- From Season 7:
- Lisa and Dana Cunningham, mother and daughter, 1st place
- Kelly Sharbaugh and Brett Clouser, engaged, 2nd place
- John and Edward Grimes, twins, 3rd place
|Team||Relationship||User||Position (by leg)||Roadblocks|
|John & Edward||Twins||jerseydude||3rd||7th||4th||5th||2ndA||5th2||3rd||2ndЄ||4th||1stƒ||1st||1st||John 6, Edward 5|
|Ma Hei Lani & Ron||Dating Doctors||·David||1st||3rd||1st⊃||2ndЄ||4thB||3rd||1st||3rd||1stƒ||2nd||2nd||2nd||Ma Hei Lani 5, Ron 6|
|Kelly & Brett||Engaged||Zack.||4th||4th||2nd||4th||6thC||1stƒ||2nd||1stЄ||3rd||3rd||3rd||3rd||Kelly 5, Brett 6|
|Lisa & Dana||Mother / Daughter||Obby.||8th||1st||6th⊂||1stƒЄ||1stA1||2nd||6th3||4th||2nd⊃||4th||Lisa 3, Dana 6|
|Lee & Taylor||Dating||eragon||7th||2nd||3rd||3rdЄ||3rdB||6th||4th||5th||5th⊂||Lee 5, Taylor 4|
|Charla & Mirna||Cousins||enneiteml||2nd||8th||5th||6thЄ||5thC||4th||5th||6th||Charla 4, Mirna 4|
|Amy & Marcellas||Best Friends||ZBC Company||5thЄ||6th||7th||7th||Amy 2, Marcellas 2|
|Oswald & Danny||Best Friends||Snooky||6th||5th||8th||Oswald 1, Danny 2|
|Luke & Chris||Twins||redwings8831||9th||9th||Luke 0, Chris 2|
|Lena & Kristy||Sisters||immabe||10th||Lena 1, Kristy 0|
Note 1: Lisa & Dana won a 30-minute time credit at the end of Leg 5 as a prize for winning Leg 4. This lifted them from 4th place which they arrived in, to 1st place.
Note 2: John & Edward originally arrived in 2nd place, but received a 4 hour penalty as John failed to complete the Roadblock. They fell to 5th place.
Note 3: While Lisa & Dana came in last on a non-elimination leg in Leg 7, they did not have to complete a Speed Bump in Leg 8 due to production difficulties affecting them at Leg 7's detour.
- Red means the team was eliminated.
- Green ƒ means the team won the Fast Forward clue.
- Purple Є indicates that a team has decided to use the Express Pass on that leg.
- An underlined Blue team's placement means the team came in last on a non-elimination leg and had to perform a Speed Bump in the next leg of the race.
- A brown ⊃ means the team chose to use a U-Turn; ⊂ indicates the team who received it.
- Matching letters means teams paired up at an Intersection.
The prize for each leg is awarded to the first place team for that leg. All trips are sponsored by Travelocity.
- Leg 1 - $40 for the race and $20,000 each for after the race.
- Leg 2 - A trip for two to Barcelona.
- Leg 3 - A trip for two to Phú Quốc, Vietnam.
- Leg 4 - A 30-minute time credit at Leg 5's pit stop.
- Leg 5 - A trip for two to Bali.
- Leg 6 - A trip for two to Bora Bora.
- Leg 7 - A trip for two to Lofoten, Norway
- Leg 8 - A Jet Ski for each team member.
- Leg 9 - A trip for two to England's Lake District.
- Leg 10 - A year's supply of chocolate.
- Leg 11 - A trip for two to "festive Latin America" (Guatemala and Nicaragua)
- Leg 12 - $1,000,000
Episode Title QuotesEdit
Episode titles are often taken from quotes made by the racers.
- "Taxists Are Like Gurus. They Know Everything!" - Ma Hei Lani
- "Killing You is Enough to be Forever Glee!" - Ron
- "We're Like in the Coolest Place on Earth And He Wants To Go To China!" - John
- "Sounds Like My Idea of Riveting Television!" - Kelly
- "Too Much Kelly Talk...Let's Race!" - Charla
- "Girl's Feet Are Too Soft, It Would End Up Like Licking A Piece Of Fat." - Edward
- "Yes, I Have Nipples" - Edward
- "The Only Thing Your Snake Powers Will Get You is a Snakebite" - Brett
- "Don't Say You Love Me, You Immature Twat" - Kelly
- "Who Said Harry Potter is Asian?" - Ma Hei Lani
- "You Stick the Probe into Someone's Butt" - Edward
| Air travel destination Bus travel destination Railroad destination Water travel destination Helicopter travel destination|
Detour Roadblock Intersection U-Turn Fast Forward Speed Bump Pit Stop
Leg 1 (United States → Chile)Edit
- San Francisco, California, United States (Presidio of San Francisco - Old Coast Guard Station) (Starting Point)
- San Francisco (San Francisco International Airport) to Santiago, Chile (Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport)
- Santiago to Rancagua, O'Higgins Region
- Rancagua (Medialuna Monumental de Rancagua)
- Sewell (El Teniente underground mine)
The Roadblock on Leg 1 required one team member to don traditional huaso clothing and ride a horse around the arena, chasing a pretend calf travelling around the edge of the arena. To get the next clue, the team member had to make their horse ram the calf off of its fixed course.
- Additional task
- At the mine, teams had to search in a large pile of copper for a gold coin. When they found one, teams took a mine train to the pit stop.
Leg 2 (Chile)Edit
- Rancagua (De La Independencia Airport) to Quellón, Chiloé Island, Los Lagos Region (Quellón Airport)
- Castro (Briggs & Stratton engines)
- Quicaví (Cueva di Quicaví)
- Ancud (Islotes de Puñihuil Natural Monument)
- Ancud (Fuerte San Antonio)
In the race's first detour, teams chose between Don't Count Your Chickens and Can't Make Him Drink. In Don't Count Your Chickens, teams drove to a ranch where they had to count all of the chickens in a chicken coop. At random points during the task, more chickens were added to the coop. If teams counted the correct number they were handed the next clue. In Can't Make Him Drink, teams walked to a stable, picked a horse and lead it a mile and a half on foot to a nearby bay. Once there, teams had to feed the horse with food that may make him thirsty. When their horse drank from the water in the bay, teams received the next clue. In the Roadblock, one team member dressed in a Halloween costume and had to create a chant that would scare an Invunche in order to gain access to the cave.
- Additional Task
- After completing the Roadblock, the team had to find a witch who would perfom a magic spell on the team before handing them the next clue.
Leg 3 (Chile → Argentina → Antarctica)Edit
- Chacao to Puerto Montt
- Puerto Montt (El Tepual Airport) to Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina (Ushuaia – Malvinas Argentinas International Airport)
- Ushuaia (Les Eclaireurs Lighthouse)
- Ushuaia (Ushuaia – Malvinas Argentinas International Airport) to Seymour Island, Antarctica (Marambio Base)
- Seymour Island to Deception Island (Port Foster)
- Deception Island (Whaling Station remains)
- Deception Island (Telefon Bay) (Blind U-turn)
- Livingston Island (Renier Point)
- Livingston Island (Tangra Mountains - The Sphinx)
In the detour, teams had to choose between Freeze Yourself or Relax Yourself. In Freeze Yourself, teams had to walk to a bay, strip down to their underwear and them swim in the frigid water to a buoy 200m away. Then, each team member had to dive down to retreive half of the next clue. In Relax Yourself, teams walked to a hot spring and had to relax in it while disentangling a key from ropes. Teams used the key to open a box containing the next clue. The Roadblock had one team member use a mechanical ascender to climb up a 125ft rock face.
Leg 4 (Antarctica)Edit
- Livingston Island (Camp Academia) to Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station (Jack F. Paulus Skiway)
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station (South Pole Telescope)
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station (Destination Alpha)
- Geographic South Pole
In the Fast Forward, teams had to work out how to retrieve a clue from inside a large globe of ice. The Roadblock required one team member to build a signpost listing 7 locations on Earth and 3 in Space, with the signs pointing in the correct direction and showing the correct distances. The detour was Disc or Risk. In Disc, teams had to complete 5 sections of a disc golf course. In Risk, teams had to ride a snowmobile on a marked course. However, the risk was teams had no idea how long the course was.
Leg 5 (Antarctica → Argentina → Germany)Edit
- Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station (Jack F. Paulus Skiway) to Buenos Aires, Argentina (Aeroparque Jorge Newbery)
- Buenos Aires (Ministro Pistarini International Airport) to Frankfurt, Germany (Frankfurt Airport)
- Frankfurt (Frankfurt Airport long-distance station) to Bremen (Bremen Hauptbahnhof)
- Bremen (Rhododendron-Park Bremen)
- Bremen (Pig Statue)
- Bremen (Weserstadion)
- Bremen (Universität Bremen – Mathematics/Computer Science Faculty)
- Bremen (Universität Bremen – Fallturm Bremen)
- Bremen (Schnoor)
At the Rhododendron Park, teams had to pick a team to work together with. The detour on Leg 5 was a choice between Vintage Cars or Folk Tales. In Vintage Cars, intersected teams had to carry an engine to the Mercedes-Benz factory and fit the engine into a Mercedes-Benz 770. They then had to drive their car to a golf club for the next clue. In Folk Tales, intersected teams had to cycle a ConferenceBike to four locations around Bremen, collecting a costume of each of the four animals in the Brothers Grimm tale Town Musicians of Bremen - a donkey, a dog, a cat and a rooster. Then, teams had to travel to the Town Musicians Statue near the Town Hall of Bremen and rub the donkey's hooves to receive the next clue. After choosing how to use the U-turn, teams were no longer joined by the Intersection. At the Roadblock, one team member had to decode a series of binary sequences to get numbers. Each number corresponded to a letter of the alphabet and teams had to use the numbers to find the location of the next clue.
- Additional Task
- At the Weserstadion, teams had to play Kastenlauf. Teams were given ten 330ml cans of beer in a crate. Teams had to run a lap around the outside of the stadium, and by the finish line, all of the beer had to have been drunk by the team for them to receive the next clue.
Leg 6 (Germany → Denmark)Edit
- Bremen (Bremen Hauptbahnhof) to Rostock (Rostock Hauptbahnhof)
- Rostock (Port) to Gedser, Denmark
- Lyngby-Taarbæk Municipality (Dyrehavsbakken)
- Copenhagen (Strøget)
- Copenhagen (The Little Mermaid)
- Øresund (Saltholm)
In the Speed Bump, Kelly & Brett had to ride a wooden rollercoaster known as the Rutschebanen. To claim the Fast Forward, a team had to become human cannonballs and each team member had to be launched out of a cannon. The detour on this leg was Sausage Sales or Pickle Pique. In Sausage Sales, teams had to assemble a portable pølsevogn and then cart it around the city selling pølser to locals. Once teams had sold 20, they could exchange the money they collect to receive the next clue. In Pickle Pique, teams had to race to a hotel where they had to eat a serving of pickled herring. The Roadblock had one team member match a line from a Hans Christian Andersen to the fairy tale it comes from. Then, team members had to go around Copenhagen to three specific locations and find three characters from their chosen fairy tale, who would give them a third of their next clue.
- Additional Task
- At the start of the leg, teams were only told to find the world's oldest amusement park, and they had to figure out it was Dyrehavsbakken.
Leg 7 (Denmark → Rwanda)Edit
- Copenhagen (Copenhagen Airport) to Kigali, Rwanda (Kigali International Airport)
- Kigali (Hôtel des Mille Collines)
- Volcanoes National Park (Mount Bisoke)
- Rusumo District (Field)
- Rwamagana (Rwamagana Parish Church)
In the Speed Bump, Lee & Taylor had to collect food and hike a forest trail to find a family of mountain gorillas. Then, they had to feed the family their food in order to continue on the race. The Roadblock had one team member persuade a mountain gorilla to hand them the next clue envelope. The detour was Follow What's Sung or Create With Dung. In Follow What's Sung, teams had to learn and perform a traditional dance known as Intore. Both team members had to dance exactly with the beats for one song to receive the next clue. In Create With Dung, teams had to create two pictures using cow dung, in a local art form known as Imigongo.
- Additional Tasks
- When teams landed in Rwanda, they had to find the hotel which was the inspiration for the movie Hotel Rwanda, where the concierge would give teams the next clue.
Leg 8 (Rwanda → Jordan)Edit
- Kigali (Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre)
- Kigali (Kigali International Airport) to Amman, Jordan (Queen Alia International Airport)
- Amman (King Abdullah I Mosque)
- Dead Sea
- Dead Sea to Wadi Musa
- Wadi Musa (Darshares Temple)
- Petra (Al Khazneh)
In this detour, teams had to choose between Solid Salt and Salt Water. In Solid Salt, teams had to collect 250kg of sea salt which has been deposited around the lake. In Salt Water, teams had to float on their backs towards a buoy in the Dead Sea where they would find the next clue. However, teams could not propel themselves in any direction and had to travel where the water took them. The Roadblock featured one team member searching the archaeological site of Petra for a monument of a snake.
- Additional Task
- At the Genocide Memorial, teams had to lay a rose on the ground in remembrance of the victims of the Rwandan Genocide.
Leg 9 (Jordan → Israel → West Bank → Israel)Edit
- Wadi Musa to Jerusalem, Israel
- Jerusalem (Central Bus Station – Falafel stand)
- Jerusalem (Temple Mount – Wailing Wall)
- Bethlehem, West Bank (Church of the Nativity)
- Bethlehem (Manger Square)
- Valley of Elah, Israel (Khirbet Qeiyafa)
- Jerusalem (Temple Mount – Dome of the Rock)
For this Fast Forward, teams had to buy and eat 5 falafels served in pitta bread. The first team to eat 5 could claim the Fast Forward. The detour on this leg was Nativity or Creativity. In Nativity, teams had to drive to a stable and recreate tbe Nativity of Jesus using live animals (including a donkey) and actors, while also incorporating the Travelocity roaming gnome. In Creativity, teams had to walk to a nearby church and complete a 3000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a religious symbol. In this Roadblock, one team member had to channel David and use a rock and a slingshot to hit a statue of Goliath standing at the top of a 25 foot cliff 40 feet away from the shooting area. When the statue fell, teams received their next clue.
- Additional Task
- In the Old City of Jerusalem, teams had to use their own limited funds to buy gold, frankincense and myrrh. When they had all three, they could take them to the "Three Wise Men" waiting at the Church of the Nativity for their next clue.
Leg 10 (Israel → Australia)Edit
- Tel Aviv (Ben Gurion International Airport) to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Airport)
- Brisbane (Wickham Park - The Old Windmill) (Story Bridge)
- Brisbane (Davies Park)
- Brisbane (Archerfield Airport)
- Springbrook National Park (Jungle camp)
- Springbrook National Park (Springbrook Mountain Manor)
In the final Fast Forward, teams had to go to the Story Bridge and follow a marked route up steps to the summit of the bridge, 80m above the Brisbane River. The Roadblock required one team member to use the supplies provided to make fire. When their fire is lit, they would have to wait for it to burn a rope to receive their next clue. In the detour, teams chose either Burrow In or Burrow Out. In Burrow In, teams had to take a zip line across the valley. Then, each team member had to take a giant burrowing cockroach and hold it between their lips for one minute without dropping it or swallowing it. In Burrow Out, teams had to walk to a clearing, where they were chained together in a tunnel. Then, teams had to search their dark surroundings for keys to unlock them, while they were joined by a number of insects and rats and snakes. After they were unlocked, they could crawl out of the tunnel and receive their next clue.
- Additional tasks
- At Davies Park, teams had to inflate a hot air balloon and then take a balloon ride over the city of Brisbane until they reached Archerfield Airport where they received their next clue.
- At the airport, teams had to board a plane and then take a 10,000ft skydive over the jungle.
- After the detour, teams had to drive an ATV over a jungle trail, and then, after exiting the jungle, travel on normal roads to the pit stop.
Leg 11 (Australia → United States)Edit
- Gold Coast (Gold Coast Airport) to Anchorage, Alaska, United States (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport)
- Anchorage (Lake Hood Strip) to Barrow (Wiley Post-Will Rogers Memorial Airport)
- Barrow (Cathy Parker Field)
- Point Barrow
In the Roadblock, one team member had to build an igloo using blocks of ice to the satisfaction of an Eskimo. The detour, Balance or Endurance, featured two-foot high kicking and ear pulling competitions respectively.
- Additional Task
- After checking into the pit stop, teams had to spent the pit stop time living in the igloo they build at the Roadblock.
Leg 12 (United States)Edit
- Barrow (Wiley Post-Will Rogers Memorial Airport) to Anchorage (Lake Hood Strip)
- Anchorage (Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport) to Dulles, Virginia / Baltimore, Maryland (Washington Dulles International Airport / Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport)
- Washington, D.C. (L'Enfant Plaza)
- Washington, D.C. (Boy Scout Memorial)
- Washington, D.C. (Smithsonian Institute)
- Washington, D.C. (White House)
- Alexandria, Virginia (Mount Vernon)
For this Speed Bump, Kelly & Brett had to search the surrounding area for a flag of the United States. Then, they had to find a flagpole and raise the flag to be able to continue on the race. The final detour was a choice between Leader's Stays or Bauer's Moves. In Leader's Stays, teams had to walk to five locations to collect statues of 5 former US presidents (Eisenhower - Reagan - Lincoln - Roosevelt - Jefferson). When they had all five, they could go to the Jefferson Memorial and arrange the statues in the order of the presidents' real height. When they were right, they received their next clue. In Bauer's Moves, teams had to go to the International Spy Museum and interrogate a double agent who knew the location of the next clue. When they broke the agent, they could walk to the ccorrect location to find their next clue. The final Roadblock required one team member to arrange 16 locations visited on the race into 4 linked groups (similar to Round 3 of Only Connect). When the groups had been linked correctly, and the connections had been established, the team would receive their next clue.
- Additional Task